Friday, November 21, 2008

Revgalblogpal Friday Five: Kitchen Appliance Edition

Songbird writes:

In a minor domestic crisis, my food processor, or more precisely the part you use for almost everything for which I use a food processor, picked the eve of the festive season of the year to give up the ghost. A crack in the lid expanded such that a batch of squash soup had to be liberated via that column shaped thing that sticks up on top.Can you tell this is not my area of strength?Next week, I'm hosting Thanksgiving. I need your help. Please answer the following kitchen-related questions:

1) Do you have a food processor? Can you recommend it? Which is to say, do you actually use it?
Ummm, what?

2) And if so, do you use the fancy things on it? (Mine came with a mini-blender (used a lot and long ago broken) and these scary disks you used to julienne things (used once).)
Seriously, what are you talking about?

3) Do you use a standing mixer? Or one of the hand-held varieties?(And isn't that color delightfully retro?)
If this is what I think it is, I like the pretty colored one but chuckle every time I see how expensive it is.

4) How about a blender? Do you have one? Use it much?
Sometimes in my mind I pretend I am someone who would take the time to find the ingredients and make healthy drinks in a blender. Then I remember I don't have one.

5) Finally, what old-fashioned, non-electric kitchen tool do you enjoy using the most?
Other people cooking for me.

Bonus: Is there a kitchen appliance or utensil you ONLY use at Thanksgiving or some other holiday? If so, what is it?
My oven.

25 comments:

Songbird said...

Ha!
You make me feel like Martha Stewart.

pastornines said...

Nice, very nice. As you move on to bigger and without a doubt better things, make sure that's your story and stick to it. Thanks for the laugh.

Preacher Mom said...

I can see that you and I would get along just fine. We be hungry most of the time, but we'd get along!

Gord said...

I always like a ood laugh in the morning!

j said...

EXCELLENT play, WS!!

karlajean said...

I love it.

Teri said...

hahahahah! WS, I love you.

I am totally playing the FF today--I love cooking. Too bad my work schedule for the past several months has meant that I can barely figure out how to make a bowl of cereal in the morning...let alone remember I have a blender.

cheesehead said...

Hee hee!

Seriously. Two words: house warming.

Sue said...

We may very well be twins separated at birth WS.

Cook? I don't think so.

I'm more of a heat 'n serve type.

Great play!

RevDrKate said...

Oh, very excellent response! Too funny WS.

Teri said...

WS, I forgot: you remind me of a Buffy quote from the thanksgiving episode. Buffy decides to have everyone over (to someone else's house) for Thanksgiving her first year at college b/c her mom's going out of town for the holiday. When inviting someone over, she says to them:
"You should come. I'm a great cook....in theory. I've eaten a lot."

:-)

DogBlogger said...

Love it! and you.

Word verification: spill. Not kidding.

Jennifer said...

So funny.
You rock!

Auntie Knickers said...

Very funny, and I see that it is a good thing your parents and you will live together -- with no conflicts in the kitchen! Division of labor is a good thing.

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

congratulations on the new call... and on realizing that an oven is more than a place to store pots and pans and books and laundry and....

Mary said...

just think of all the time you've saved cleaning the kitchen!!! thanks for the great laugh

Julie said...

This is hilarious! I got one of those fancy blenders as a wedding present and have NEVER used it. We have our 12-year anniversary on Sunday!

Crimson Rambler said...

you are a great lady in the most honorific sense of the word...reminding me of the gal who said her "favorite thing to make for supper" was "reservations" -- Rock on, ws!

Rev SS said...

He WS & Sue ... meet your triplet! Fun play WS ... and congrats on the new call.

Kathryn said...

Hooray - a woman after my own heart and another graduate of the WTF school of housewifery ;-)

sherry said...

OMG....this is me!!!! I have these things and all they do is take up space.

Big Dinner=Reservations

Once when my oldest was very young, I asked her what she wanted for dinner....she said, "Chinese, I like those little boxes"

Rev Dave said...

We have a winner. For balance, when are you going to do the Friday Five for Tomboys?

Processing Counselor said...

I am SO with you!

Anonymous said...

Answering your twitter comment re continuing the blog. I'll miss you if you go-- and hope you don't-- but, you might waht to take down the MS tag which has your name on it!

zorra said...

LOL!!! As always, I heart you. I'll cook for you any time.

WV: booto. I don't know what it means, but since I'm twelve, I thought it was funny.

And congratulations again on the call!